Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A New Job


I finished my fellowship at the VA this past Friday. The VA police took my badge and told me I no longer had access to the hospital. Which I thought was funny because anyone can waltz into the VA, not having my badge just means I can't ride the service elevator anymore, which is sometimes faster than the regular elevators.

The past year I spent doing the Palliative Care Fellowship taught me so much. For the first time in my life, I spent time with people who were actively dying. I watched people die with faith and courage. I watched people die angry and alone. Sometimes I got to offer words of comfort or link people to helpful resources and benefits. But mostly I got to listen, and hold hands, and think more about matters of life and death than the average 25-year-old. I hope that it made me a little wiser.

Now I am moving on to my new job: being a mom. No one interviewed me. No one checked to make sure I really got my degrees. No one even did a background check or urine screen, and let me tell you, every job I've had as a social worker has required these. (I pass every time, in all 3 states I've worked in, so feel very safe when I babysit your children). In spite of all this, if everything goes according to plan, Tim and I are going to have our very own baby human, that is half Tim, half me.

I am thrilled. I am terrified. I am very, very excited to meet her.

This will be my first job with no way out: I can't quit, it won't end, I am a mother forever.

I hope forever is long enough to learn how to do it well.

Wish me luck.

11 comments:

The Rauch Family said...

Didn't you have to give a urine sample at your OB appointments?! :) Seriously though, you'll be a great mom, and Tim will be a great dad. Lucky baby.

svmama3 said...

Lucky baby indeed! I can't wait for you to join the mommy/daddy club. It will bring you to tears of joy, tears of stress, tears of happiness, tears of not having any idea what to do, but will be the most rewarding, amazing job you will ever have! Yay for my new niece! I am excited for you guys!

Katie said...

You already do it well! I was amazed the first few times you were with us when we first met you-at what a natural you are with my kiddos. The first is a bit intimidating right away but you guys will be great!!

Kaleb and Abby Widmier said...

We do wish you well!!! You will both be amazing and I can't wait to meet a 1/2 Tim 1/2 Sarah baby! She will be so awesome! By-the-way, cute picture in your last blog...somehow you are managing to look better and better the more pregnant you become. How do you make it look so great??

Micah C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Andelins said...

You will LOVE being a mom!! It is seriously the most fun job ever. Can't wait to see pictures of the little cutie! P.S. Enjoy your "nesting" time before she comes. Cuz she will be here before you know it!

T & E's Blog said...

Oh my gosh! What a tear jerker!! This was so sweetly said. You will love your little girl like you never imagined. They are such miracles. You will do so great. It will come naturally to you. I promise. The best feeling is knowing that only you are her mom....forever.

Mike said...

I'm sure you guys will be awesome parents. My best advice is to take advantage of date nights as much as possible until the new one arrives! Oh yeah...and I hope you guys don't like to sleep...it's over rated any way.

Tim and Sara said...

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm so glad we have all of you around to support us!

Katie Irion said...

You are going to be one great mom Sara. True, when you take little Lily home from the hospital and no one tells you what to do, you kind of feel lost but it all quickly comes. And if it doesn't, you always have great ladies around who have been there done that and still learning too. I'm excited to meet this little baby girl that is half you and half Time!

Jenny said...

i loved this post and can't wait to see pictures of your little one! you will be a great momma!