Saturday, July 30, 2011

Quick addendum to the birth story

So here's my comparison of epidural vs. natural for those of you readers who wanted it, and I of course want to give the disclaimer that this is only my opinion based on my experience.

LABOR: Here's Lily's birth story, if you care to read it. I was in labor with her for about 30 hours total, and the worst part of that labor was throwing up once I got the epidural. Otherwise it was great - my epidural was perfect and everything went very smoothly. I was really tired, obviously, but once I got the epidural I was able to rest a little bit. I was in labor with Josie for 8 hours. I think I was probably in early labor with her for weeks before having her, especially since the Tuesday before the Saturday that I had her I was already dilated to a 4. 8 hours of labor with half an hour of pushing was completely doable. I felt pretty strong because I wasn't exhausted, and I think that and having relatively short contractions helped a lot. It was nice not throwing up and having a shorter labor, although at the peak of the really strong contractions there were times when I thought I was going to throw up.

RECOVERY: Ugh. I wish I could say that the recovery was so much better. It's entirely possible that I am a total wimp about recovering after childbirth, but I really hate everything about that stage other than the adorable baby part. Recovery was about the same, maybe slightly better just because this was my 2nd baby, but not by much. It was nice being able to walk after delivery, but everything else still sucked. Also...due to certain circumstances that probably no one wants to read about, I had to have a catheter after having Josie. I had one after Lily as well but didn't feel a thing thanks to the epidural. Boo.

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN: I think so? I mean, if things went similarly and were moving right along like they did with Josie, I could do that again. It was, in a weird way, kind of exciting to be aware of the whole process and to really be able to tell that I was progressing and getting closer to meeting my baby. When you have an epidural you're just kind of passive, hanging out. Which can be a really nice way to get through labor because you're relaxed and not in pain, but it was a unique experience to be aware of what was going on. I will say that I felt more confident this time around because I'd already had Lily and knew my body could do this, and that made a big difference for me in that I wasn't as afraid.

3 comments:

Mary Thomas said...

Ya, eight hours ain't bad, but you're still a complete rockstar for doing it. Thanks for answering our burning questions. Speaking of burning, I have had catheters with and without pain killers also. I definitely prefer the pain free kind. I just thought I would throw that out there, in the spirit of misery-loves-company. Hehehehee. Anyway- I'm a complete wuss and may be ordering my epidural along with my breakfast entree next time I'm admitted (I did eight hours last time!) so I am duly impressed by you. And Tim, I think Scott may have bribed the anesthesiologist at a certain point. With real money. And then gagged me and made me get it. lol

Jenny said...

What a woman Sara! You did something that I don't know that I will ever consider doing! I'm glad that it all went so well. Thanks for sharing it all! Anyway, hope you guys are doing well, and when you get around to it, I would love to see more pictures of Josie. (I know you have so much time on your hands!)

Jess & Jessica said...

I agree with you. I had an epidural this time after over 27 hours of labor. I like without medication better, but it sure was nice to finally have some relief after so much pain and being so exhausted. I missed working with my baby to meet her. I also thought pushing was way harder with the epidural. Thank you for sharing your experience. I love reading your blog! :)