We got to do a lot of cool things this summer, so I'll be throwing in a few retrospective posts here. One REALLY cool thing was getting to watch my 21-year-old brother, Chris, graduate from Marine Corps boot camp. Here are some sweet pictures of the guy we now know as Private Gallo. Can you tell which one he is?
Chris lost about 20 lbs during boot camp, so he looked like a totally different person.
Joining the Marines was a huge change for Chris and we have all been really impressed with his new dedication and discipline. Unfortunately the night before Chris's graduation I came down with the stomach flu while on the flight to San Diego and puked all over the floor of the plane as I was waiting to get into the bathroom. I felt pretty miserable for the rest of the weekend but it was nice to spend some quality time with my dad and brother. It was really sunny on the base, so my dad and Uncle Peter made their own hats.
My stepdad Ralph flew down to San Diego too, and it was great to spend some time with him. I hadn't seen my cousin Olivia since she was about 8, and now she is a beautiful 16-year-old! Thank you Ralph, for my new "Proud Sister of a Marine" sweatshirt, I wear it all the time!
This is Jamie with the mascot bulldog. I want this to be Chris's job in the Marines: taking care of the bulldog. No guns needed.
Even though it was cloudy, it was nice to hang out on the beach by the Hotel del Coronado.
Part of my orientation at the VA was watching these heartwrenching videos about veterans, and as you can imagine, the parts about the returning OEF (Operation Enduring Freedom) and OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) vets made me tear up every time. As much as I would hate to see my little brother ever in harm's way, I am so proud of the new life he is leading and the service he is providing to our country. We love you and miss you Chris! You are in our prayers and thoughts!
1 comment:
So glad I found your blog! How the heck are you! Scott and I have a blog it's scottandkristine.blogspot.com
Gosh miss ya. Saw some Soy Vei at the store the other day and remembered the King Henry days. Hope all is well!
Post a Comment