Does anyone else ever feel like they always get into trouble when they take their animals to the vet? Will I feel this way when I take my kids to the pediatrician?
Dirk had been throwing up every day for a little over a week, so I thought something might be wrong. Keep in mind, the dog pukes every so often anyway because he loves to eat grass, rabbit poop, wood chips, and heaven knows what else whenever he can. Luckily Dirk's not very smart and he's completely forgotten about the mother of all foul and disgusting dog delicacies that lurks in our basement: the litter box. Cat poo is like Dirk's caviar.
I digress, but one time we let the Leverich's watch our cat while we went out of town, and they really liked her, so we just kind of let them keep her for a couple of months. Then they moved to New Mexico and now Tim curses the day that we let the chance to get rid of Giselle slip through our fingers. When we finally reclaimed her, Dirk was overwhelmed with the awesome opportunity to eat cat poo and would disappear down to the basement whenever he could. As soon as we caught him we would beat him mercilessly (kind of joking) and take him outside so we could spray his face and mouth with the power hose. Either the beatings trained him or Dirk is just plain dumb (my money's on dumb, sorry Bud) and he soon forgot about the cat litter.
Anyway, this post isn't about Dirk eating poo. Or maybe it is, because I figured he had Giardia again which he gets from drinking poopy contaminated standing water at the dog park (another heavenly treat in dogdom). He does this even as I'm screaming and running at him like a fool. Just keeps drinking like, "By the time she gets here, I'll have drunk my fill, and then I can run away. Bottoms up!" So he was barfing and I thought I should be a good owner and take him to the vet since it wasn't going away on its own. Also Giselle needed her distemper booster (distemper could cause her to die from vomiting and diarrhea) so I figured I would be an EXTRA good pet owner and take both the pets in.
Then I got in trouble.
My cat's ears need to be cleaned.
I need to brush my cat's teeth.
I should be brushing my dog's teeth, and since I haven't been, he needs to have them professionally scaled and cleaned.
My dog does not sit still while you take his blood.
My dog does not sit still while you give him a shot.
My dog does not sit still.
If you take my dog out of the examining room to the scary back room so that you can take his blood, he will drag you by the leash back to me with all his might.
My dog and cat have dandruff. I should wash my dog with a special shampoo for this (I do) and I should use it for a while so that it can work (I've been using it all winter).
My dog needs a heartworm test because he's supposed to get one every year and he hasn't had one for two years and now it's a "liability" to the vet. The vet acquiesces that I am a "responsible" pet owner and so he let me slide with not getting one last year, but he really needs to do one now. He'll do one for free next year if I remind him, except we won't be here next year.
And, $250 later, the animals are all caught up on their vaccines and guess what? Dirk doesn't have Giardia, or heartworm. Isn't that nice.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
tsk tsk Sara!! haha, sorry, I think you are a very responsible pet owner.
You are a funny pet owner! Just so you know, when I go to the pediatrician, I have 2 kids running in opposite directions and I never get in trouble. Maybe only because Katie showers the doc in kisses, but, hey, it distracts the doc from how out of control they are when in tight spaces. You just have to find the right doc :)
Oh Dirk...
Next time you go to the vet, you should remind him that probably the majority of pet owners in Milwaukee skip the vet. (You could even make up a statistic.) And that even if you aren't going to him as regularly as you should, you are still a top-notch pet owner and likely the best that vet will ever meet. Sheesh, you should get a little bit of credit for all you do.
By the way, I got your message last night at 9:00 (about running at 5:00). I have a bad habit of putting my phone somewhere and forgetting about it. Did you end up going for a walk? Please don't give up on me! I'll check my phone more often on sunny afternoons, just in case.
Remember Heidi (my dog growing up)??? You are a great pet owner. With Kids it is different. In the past 3 years I only had one bad Dr. visit... it was when I took Sara in, the nurse told me to take her in, the Dr. Just looked at me and asked why I brought my kid in. She was sick, I was was told to bring her in, I just wanted to slap him in the face. I haven't seen him again, and I won't. It was fun. :)
Thanks, guys! :) Megan, I totally remember Heidi! I remember it was so sad when she died too. Don't worry, Karisa, I won't give up on you!
Post a Comment