Sometimes during the course of my work day, I have to have difficult conversations with people. I guess if people wanted a broad job description of what social workers really do, that could be one of the bullet points: talking about the things that no one else really wants to talk about.
You might think that talking about funeral planning would be one of the difficult things I do, but that doesn't really bother me anymore. I would say some of the most difficult conversations I have surround "discharge planning". It almost sounds like a dirty word, doesn't it? Basically, I get to be the bad guy that says that it's time for the patient to go somewhere else other than our unit. Some people decide that they really don't like me when I bring this up. Some people like to make dramatic statements, which I guess are intended to persuade me (even though who gets discharged from the hospital and when is in no way up to the lowly social worker). I have heard this one no less than ten times, "If YOU discharge him, he'll die."
These conversations are usually pretty exhausting, because I have to put a lot of effort into listening, reflecting, paraphrasing, and not getting defensive. It's pretty common for me to walk away feeling like I would be just fine not talking to anyone else for the rest of the day. Yesterday I had one of those conversations, and I was trying to gear up for the fact that, unfortunately, I was going to have to talk to many more people during the rest of my day.
As I was faxing some paperwork at the nurses' station, one of the nurses came up to me and said, "Oh, you've got something there, on the side of your face."
"Yeah, it's a zit that was annoying me and I scratched at it."
Normally it would be appropriate for the conversation to end here, but she kept going.
"Oh, it looks like you have a couple there."
Really?
"Yeah, I know. It's annoying."
Again, are we done yet? Can my fax stop taking so long? It was like this woman could just not help herself.
"It almost looks like you have poison ivy."
(Evil thoughts creeping in, LET'S START TALKING ABOUT YOUR STUPID FACE.)
(Sigh) "Nope, I wish."
Then she finally walked away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is the point at which my gestational rage would have forced me to punch that lady square in the mouth. You are a better person than I am.
If you ever need to call me up and just not talk, I'll keep you on speakerphone while I continue on with life, but hopefully you'll feel better at the end. :)
Oh wow. That woman needs therapy. I can't believe how gracefully you handled that one.
We think you have a gorgeous face.
I second mrsfussypants! You are a beautiful girl and even more beautiful with your blossoming baby bump!
Awww, thanks guys! Don't worry, I'll get her back. :)
she's obviously jealous of how pretty you are. she probably wishes she had your baby and your husband. frankly I don't know how she gets out of bed in the morning.
Post a Comment