Last night I was being a little whiny. "Sometimes I wish my life was a little more glamorous", I told Tim. Usually I try very hard to work at being happy in the moment and enjoying the many blessings that I have. Lately I have been pretty tired, and that makes me much less patient and, let's face it, a lot less fun. I told Tim that I think I need a creative outlet, but I don't want to take time away from him or our kiddos. I compare too much. This has always been a weakness of mine. I see other mothers, with more children, somehow seeming to manage so much more than I ever could. I think of friends my age that are busy traveling, building their resumes, or just putting on makeup and blow drying their hair every day, which sometimes seems like a huge accomplishment!
Then I think of yesterday. Yesterday was kind of a rough day kid-wise. Both girls have colds. Josie was up four times the night before. I spent the first 20 minutes of sacrament meeting nursing her and trying to get her to sleep (didn't work) and the rest of the time managing Lily who was having meltdown after meltdown. Then Josie spit up all over me and herself. She slept for maybe an hour and a half during the day yesterday. That's not enough for a 2 1/2 month old baby! Dirk also thought it would be funny to jump up on the kitchen counter and start eating some chicken that was fresh out of the oven.
But yesterday there were sweet moments, too.
Lily came into the kitchen, hugged one of my legs, then the other, then gave my leg a kiss. I could tell she was just feeling terrible yesterday, but there were moments where all she wanted was her mommy. And I get to be that mommy! It is so rewarding to have those moments as a mother where you are the only one that knows what your kid wants and needs and you can help them feel better.
I think of Josie's sweet smiles, and how she's starting to do this little chuckle thing that's killing me. I love her tiny hand wrapped around my finger. I love how she calms down if she's crying and hears my voice.
I laugh and think of Tim saying something about Josie refusing to go down for a nap and his look of concern when I said, "Yeah, it's killer" and he thought I said, "Yeah, let's kill her".
Forget being glamorous! I can be glamorous later.
I have to remember that deep down, I know I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing right now.
I have to remember that my beloved Nonna, my dad's mom, would always tell me her happiest memories were of the times when she was caring for her young children.
I have to remember how quickly the past two years of Lily's life have gone by, and how happy I have been to watch her grow and develop.
I have to remember that I really, really adore being a mom to these two little girls.
And when I remember those things, nothing else matters.
Although a little more sleep wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'...
8 comments:
yay! They are wearing their matching dresses. So cute!!! I whine a lot lately too, just for other reasons. Wish you were coming out in a few weeks :( Thanksgiving it is!
Sara,
Let me tell you how fast those years are just GONE. My mom told me about a time when she was in the thick of it with 4 little kids at home and thought she was going to lose her mind and her mom told her that she shouldn't give up on "the best years" and she couldn't believe that she could possibly be living the best years, but it turns out - she was. They are the best years and even though a night with a crying baby seems like a decade, you'll be surprised how fast you can't even remember most of it. A male colleague of mine once told me (when I was about to have Grace) that the single most thing his own wife wished for was more time to sit on the couch and hold the babies. So, just sit there with your greasy hair and yesterday's clothes and snuggle them for as long as they will let you. They'll be at school all day before you know it. just sayin'.... oh, and feel free to whine about it whenever you like.
I think every mom can relate to those whines! It sounds like you are doing a great job. I love catching up on your blog, you are so hilarious.
Oh Sara! I am you! Nice post. We must all compare and think other mama's are doing it easier or better. I look at you and think you are killing it. Hottie, stylin, funny. AccomPlished. I am sorry you are tired.makes everything so hard. I will help you soon. I don't ever want these young baby/ child days to end... I like you love them so much, but i just can't be this tired forever! Xxx Rowena
Yes, just be greasy and hold those babies!!! Evan is already 4 and i am freaking out because he is all of the sudden so grown up and the toddler years are my ALL time FAV! SO SO fun! Forget being clean, house and all and enjoy those beauties! Trust me, you will miss these years in a few more.
AHH! I love your blog. I love it. Maybe this will make you feel better: you are one of those "perfect moms" that I compare myself to! For some reason I always want to read more with Oliver because I feel like you read so much with your kids. :)
Hilarious that Tim thought you said, "Let's kill her." You might be the funniest couple I know.
Please come to Atlanta the next time he comes. Did he tell you how delicious chicken and waffles are?
Ah, I love this. This is so me, and where I'm headed. Ugh, those times are hard, and I just shudder thinking of those times plus another child! But, you totally have it right, the sweet moments are tucked in between and keep you going. I was really trying to will myself into an attitude change tonight, I should have read this post a lot sooner!
I could write a novel to completely agree with EVERYTHING! It is so hard to step back, take a breath, and just enjoy this time- while still accomplishing our job of teaching and playing and feeding and cleaning...etc. It is even more crazy to know that the baby you're holding is your last and I just want to stop time! Hang in there Sara. I'm sure you are an excellent mom.
Post a Comment