Monday, October 3, 2011

I Have a Two-Year-Old

The nicest older lady was behind me in line at the grocery store today. Even though I just have two kids, I manage to elicit plenty of, "You've got your hands full" comments. My personal favorite is, "You've been busy". Really? I mean, there's two kids. And I've been married for 6 years. So shut your yapper. That's the only one that bothers me, others I really don't mind.

But anyway, back to the adorable lady today who said, "My, you sure are lucky." She then proceeded to compliment me on how beautiful my girls are and said that Lily reminded her of her late sister. She said, "I would have had a dozen kids if I could have." (I had a brief shudder/flashback to childbirth at that moment...a dozen? Ahh!) It was a sweet conversation, and I had to agree: I sure am lucky. So thanks to everyone for their kind comments and good advice during a tough patch. And thanks to the sweet lady in line today, who didn't look it but told me she was approaching "the 90s". I miss being around elderly people - even the cranky ones!

Let's get to what's really important about this post: Lily sporting her birthday Princess/tutu ensemble. The first thing she said when I put the tutu on her was, "Hi Princess". Oh dear... Just love this little two-year-old to pieces.



Thank goodness for tantrums. Sorry it's blurry but there was a lot of stomping and head tossing going on.

2 comments:

Mary Thomas said...

I can't believe I will be there- have a two year old, and God willing, a baby... yikes. When I write you, crying, remind me of these tutu photos...

Karisa and John said...

After receiving the "you sure have your hands full" comment about 50,000 times, I will NEVER say that to anyone! I'll have to remembered the "you sure are lucky" one-- that's exactly what you need to hear. I love elderly people too-- I just saw a youtube video of what I want John and me to be like when we're 90:
http://youtu.be/XtyAsiZWktY