Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Let me do it at my own pace!

So the title is from those Mad TV sketches about Stuart, the gigantic man-child character who would run around doing various things in a ridiculous diaper. Is anyone feeling me on those? Because there's nothing worse than trying to describe a funny sketch that no one else has seen. Kind of like the time I was trying to do an impression of the Columbian mom on Modern Family and someone said, "Love the Italian accent!" Which shows you how accurate my Columbian accent is.

Ahem. Moving on to The Point. And the point is that all moms seem to have different life pace preferences. Some moms are Go, Go, Go. They like to have their days planned to the hilt and are constantly on the move. They can't linger, because there is always something after the current activity, and this is how they like it. Then some moms are on the other end of the spectrum. Maybe they prefer to be at home most of the day, where they can keep the pace slower. There aren't many things and activities that they are interested in getting to, because they prefer to do things on their own timetables.

I have decided that I am a 1 Activity A Day kind of mom. I can't maintain the constant activity level of the Go, Go, Go moms. I envy their efficiency, though. And staying at home all day, every day isn't for me either, although there are plenty of days where I do that, and am always amazed at how busy I can be without leaving my house. But 1 Activity A Day is a good balance for me.

Example of a nice day for me: Lily wakes up at 7:30 (oh bless that child and her excellent sleep habits), we eat Reyna's yogurt pancakes (it is kind of time-consuming to make from-scratch pancakes almost daily, but I have not been able to get enough of these while pregnant), mom gets a shower, we head out to the park with the dog. Lily plays on the swings and playset, mom throws the ball for the dog, THE DOG ACTUALLY LISTENS TO MOM, we go home. We eat leftovers for lunch, which only require microwaving. We read some books, and Lily goes down for her nap, and doesn't poo after I've put her down (I don't understand how such a small child can poo 3-4 times daily - this baffles me, well, daily), thus requiring me to change her, then put her back in her crib, then listen to her scream for 5 minutes about how mad she is until she goes to sleep. So to clarify: that doesn't happen. Then mom cleans up kitchen, does some household stuff, perhaps has nice uninterrupted reading time for 30 minutes, and Lily wakes up. We play a little, read some more books, then Lily amuses herself with acceptable activities (not acceptable: putting her feet in dog's water bowl), mom makes dinner. Dad comes home, we eat dinner, mom does bath, dad does bedtime, and then we have blissful adult time.

Doesn't that sound great? That is such an ideal day for me, and that ideal has recently been interrupted by taking appointments for the dental office and doing other tasks that I can to help Tim out. Even though I am much more worn out these days from juggling getting insurance information while Lily is crying on the floor saying, "Milk! Milk!" all while I really have to pee, the busier pace has made me appreciate what a charmed life I live. It has made me so grateful that I get to stay at home full time. And I say that with no judgment at all towards working moms. I just have been all the more appreciative that Lily and I can have our slower pace right now. There's no work for me to go to, or school for her, and if she's pointing at her "guk" (book) and wanting me to read to her, what do I have to do that's better than reading to her? Clean the kitchen? Heck no. So we just get to read, and cuddle, and crack each other up.

Not too far from now our little homeostasis is going to be thrown into upheaval by a new little person, just like Lily turned our world upside down with her arrival. We'll adjust and be fine, but I know things will be different, so I'm appreciating this time I have with just Lily, when for most of the day, we are each other's whole world, and we like that just fine.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

My dogs need some socialization. Would your dog be up for giving them that? Hope all is going well with the new office. Is he open yet?

Ryan and Laura said...

Oh man- I went through the same thing. It is a catch 22 for sure. I cherished every moment with Tyler for the last few months of my pregnancy, soaking it up and knowing it would never be exactly the same again. You do find a new "normal" pretty quick and then you wonder how you ever thought life was complete without your #2 (or #3...I'm hoping). Hope you're still feeling alright and you are THE WOMAN for helping your hubs hold down the office. You deserve a nap!

The Rauch Family said...

I remember days like that when I only had Silas. Things turn into the "go, go, go" schedule when you have 1 activity per child to do. Thank goodness we're so adaptable!

The Leakes said...

Alright Sara, in my emotional 34 week pregnant state your last paragraph almost made me cry-happy and sad tears! I'm with you though, one activity a day is about all I can handle and want to do. Anyway, thanks for your clever writing. It made me happy and I'll be sure to soak up these next six weeks with just Marshall. :)

Haute Deb Designs said...

I'm sorrrrry about telling you that the accent sounded Italian :( {I've never seen the show...is that a good excuse for my diarrhea-of-the-mouth disease I have?!}

Karisa and John said...

Yup, one activity a day is the magic bullet. I could do an infomercial on it. I love the fun outings in the mornings and the quiet, laid-back afternoons.

The way to think about 2 kids is: you love Lily so much, so you're giving her the greatest gift by giving her a best friend and playmate for life. It is so fun to watch Benson and Cole interact. Cole adores Benson and no one can get Cole to crack up like Benson can. (Really.) And Benson believes that Cole is HIS baby, so he really takes Cole under his wing. It's great. You'll love your 2nd baby as much as Lily, which is hard to believe but true. Your heart will just somehow expand to give that much love to another baby.

So when do you find out if it's a boy or girl?! I'm willing to bet a million dollars that it's a boy. I'm pretty certain about it.

Jenny said...

i totally get the different moms explanation. i think i'm with you on the one activity per day thing. i started out loving outings but after having #2 i realized is it is almost never worth it to compromise naptime for an outing. it always ends up making that night or the next day a total nightmare and i get grumpier without a break from them. i don't know how go go go moms do it.

your throwing up on airplane stories are soo bad! last time we flew i was clutching my barf bag the whole time but managed to keep it in until we got home. i just kept thinking how horrible and awkward that would be though!

oh and ps after that story i should probably make sure to tell you i am not pregnant! your comment made me laugh though!

Alison said...

oh man. the day scheduling is such a huge part of being a mom.

I also think there is one more category of mom/human, and that's the person who, no matter how much they actually have to do, is constantly talking about how much they have to do. they are "soooooo busy" always.

I've been so surprised at how much being a mom has mellowed me out. though, I don't know what I'm going to do when Ginger is old enough to ask, "why do we only leave the house to buy fabric and get diet coke?"

LOVE YOU

David and Shalynna said...

You are so right. I know moms that have a full schedule every single day (my sister) and then other moms who are very much homebodies. I think I am in the middle, but lately I have been so overwhelmed with being pregnant, having a one year old, and taking a full schedule. In fact, I'm in class right now. Your blog is way better than a lecture about Shakespeare! :)

By the way, I'm so happy for you guys with the opening of the dental office! The dentist that I worked for in Arizona had his wife come in to do insurance paperwork all the time and she would bring her baby. One time he got into the paper shredder box and tossed shredded paper everywhere. She thought it was funny and took pictures, but I was the one to clean it up. I was annoyed then, but I'm sure now that I'm a mom I would have taken photos also!

Stef said...

Oh boy. If I had my way, I would be a one activity a day gal. Unfortunately, having 5 kids has ruined my plans. Snarf!! Lately I feel like I run and run and run. But next year, when I have 4 of my 5 in school, during the day, things should be a little more relaxed. But I am loving my kids while I have 'em. Sounds like you are too.