Thursday, November 13, 2008

Crappy day

Note to self: my least favorite part of my job is kicking patients off the unit because they aren't dying fast enough to meet our criteria anymore, and we have a waiting list. We don't say it that way, but that's definitely what the patients and their families hear and it sucks.

Yes, we know you like the care here.

Yes, we're sorry you had a horrible experience at that nursing home and are terrified to go to another one.

Yes, you are still very sick and probably do meet hospice eligibility, but do not meet criteria for our unit.

No, this does not make sense when we call ourselves the Palliative Care Unit and palliative care is supposed to be care throughout your terminal illness. Now here's the social worker, she'll help you find a nursing home.

Enter me, thinking, "Please, please, please, do not ask me about Medicare or Medicaid and how they pay for nursing homes because I just don't get it myself and I used to work with kids so can you ask me something I know, like maybe about what TPR is?" First question, "Now will his Medicare days roll over since he's been here for a while or will he still only have 43 left?" Uhh...see this nametag? It says Social Worker Trainee. Which is kind of insulting when I worked really hard (ok kind of hard) to get my master's but whatever, I don't actually know ANYTHING.

No comments: